Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Great Blue Heron






This great blue heron was standing statue-like in the ditch when I first encountered him. I was unaware of him but he was intently watching me as I sauntered down the road. As soon as I spotted him, he took off on giant wings. I desperately fumbled with my camera to get some shots of this incredible bird and then the game began.

I really wanted more pictures of this photophobic fella so I casually carried on with my walk hoping he would circle back to the ditch. It worked! He came back to the very spot I had first caught a glimpse of him. I then tried to sneak up on him to get a good shot. No go! That bird had his eye on me and if I got one toenail too close for his liking off he flew. I even tried to sneak up on him using the cars racing by as cover. This heron had a pretty big personal bubble that just wasn't going to be invaded.

Had it been any other night, I think I would have camped out to get the photo I wanted but it wasn't any other night. It was the night that I had to get supper on the table early to get my eldest to his thing. Well, Mr. Great Blue Heron, I have no such obligations tonight. Be aware, very aware, because you now have a stalker that's determined!

No comments:

Post a Comment